Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Long day...

After a 12 hour day at MDA, Andrea did well through the Ommaya Reservoir placement into her right side-front skull. As anethesia wore off, she described it like having a knife inserted into her head but by the end of the day; it was more like a hatchet. Appropriate for Halloween, huh???? She has pain meds for tonight, so we're hoping it is better by morning.

Her eyes were bothering her after procedure, so the ophthalmolgy doctor checked her out and she was okay.

She also went to the Radiation Unit to have a special form-fitting mask made for her face to protect areas of her head while radiation is zapping the AML. Plans are to start radiation on Monday to the whole brain at a moderate dose for 2 weeks, then approximately 1 week for a more intense dose to the lesion site. The radiation doctor was reassuring and dispelled my fears with years of clinical trials and best practice under his direction.

Tomorrow and Friday we go back to test the Ommaya Reservoir to make sure it will function as they need it to.

Thank you so much for your prayers.

6 comments:

Barbie Lomonte said...

You are all in my prayers and everyone elses that I know. I am so proud to know all of you. You are such a beautiful family, full of love,hope,and faith. I would love to be able to help in anyway I can, but in the meantime, just to be able to pray and pass on the prayers is all I can do. Love to all of you.
Barbie Lomonte

Anonymous said...

Andrea, you are in my prayers.

Your Brother in Christ!

Anonymous said...

Your family is in my thoughts! Please let us know if there is anything we can do for your family during this time.

Love you guys,

Jennifer Harp

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Andrea! We are praying for you.

Justin & Courtney Robertson

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea, I have been thinking about you and hoping that the pain caused by the reservoir has eased up, or better yet, that it is all gone. It sounds like it will be a rough few weeks, and I will hold you in my heart especially close and pray that it will go by quickly. Love, Carolyn

Anonymous said...

I am a friend of Justin Robertson. My son just passed in June from AML. Like you mentioned in an earlier post it is amazing how the patient does everything with a trust in God. We learned many things from our son, Malachi, eventhough he was just 19 months old. Faith, Trust and Hope in God is all that we need to survive. We are praying for Andrea. We have freinds that have just finished radation with their daugther. Ava's mask was made to look like Minnie Mouse. It was so nice and made the fears smaller. May you be blessed richly and serve God's perfect will!

The Schaefers
www.carepages.com
visit: BuddhaBelly